Many small businesses can't justify the expense of an exchange server. The benefits of Exchange over POP3 mail revolve around sharing.
Exchange gives you:
- Shared Calendars — Now you can see what is on your team's schedule.
- Shared Resources — You can see who is using the conference room.
- Shared Contacts — You can share your contacts with the entire company.
- Shared Tasks — You can have a shared task list.
- Public Folders — You can share email folders to centralize your information.
- Backups — All files are backed up. Most people never backup their POP3 email.